10 Reasons why cinnamon is great for your body & health
Cinnamon has been used around the world for thousands of years. We mostly know it as the bark (cinnamon stick) or as the ground spice (cinnamon powder). Today, its most popular use is in the kitchen for the taste, but also its medicinal use has a longstanding tradition.
I have to admit I was not always such a huge fan of the taste of cinnamon. But when I started to read about nutrition, cinnamon appeared in so many recipes and everyone was praising its impressive health benefits. So I got curious and started to research about that superfood spice.
1. Reduces your blood sugar level
Cinnamon is anti-diabetic. It lowers the amount of glucose that enters the bloodstream after a meal and is able to reduce insulin resistance.
2. It is loaded with antioxidants
Antioxidants protect the body from oxidative damage caused by free radicals. Moreover, they lower the risk of heart disease and cancer and fight oxidative stress.
3. Protects your brain function and boosts brain activity
Already smelling cinnamon enhances the speed, memory and visual recognition of the brain. Various studies point out the positive effects of cinnamon in regard to Alzheimer and Parkinson.
4. Reduces inflammation and swelling
It helps when you have sore muscles, PMS pains, allergic reactions, age-related symptoms of pain, skin health or irritations.
5. Anti-bacterial and anti-microbial
Removes bad breath naturally and helps fight bacteria which can cause negative symptoms in the digestive tract. Due to its anti-bacterial and anti-microbial effects it is also a natural food preservative.
6. Boosts your immune system
Studies found out that cinnamon has the ability of thinning your blood, which leads to an increase in blood circulation in your body. This increase boosts your metabolism and can help you in loosing weight.
7. Protects you from heart disease
Cinnamon has beneficial effects on the blood and the cholesterol level. Studies show that cinnamon consumption can decrease the risk for heart disease by having a positive effect on blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides.
8. Cure for stomach flu
If you have a stomach flu, cinnamon tea can help as a natural remedy to eliminate the bacteria in your stomach and make you feel better.
9. Prevents cancer
Studies show that there are positive effects of cinnamon and cinnamon oil in anti-cancer treatment.
10. How to consume cinnamon
Well, this is not a health benefit but my easy and quick tipps to take advantage of the above mentioned cinnamon magic. Try it out 🙂
At the office:
- Sprinkle it on your cappuccinos and lattes (very good also with almond or soy milk)
- Make a delicious bowl with almond milk, apple cubes, flax seeds, maca and cinnamon
- Sprinkle it on apple slices
- Sprinkle on a yoghurt (vanilla is my fave)
- A very easy and healthy way to satisfy your sweet tooth: Roast some almonds, cashews and other nuts in a pan and add some maple sirup and cinnamon to it
- Heat some apple slices in a pan and add cinnamon. The apples get all soft and it feels like eating a proper dessert – healthy and without any added sugars.
- Sprinkle on milk rice and porridge
- Add it to all different kinds of smoothies
- On the go: Slice an apple and put it in a little food bag, add some cinnamon to it and take it with you. It gets even greater after a few hours when the cinnamon taste
Read more about medical researches on cinnamon.